NOTE TO ALL MEMBERS - Important Message Regarding Virus Emails
Over the past several months, I have been receiving a large number of virus laden email messages from EX5Tech members. This is also affecting other members of the EX5Tech Team that use ex5tech.com email accounts. Especially in the past month, the number of virus emails has really skyrocketed.
I think it is important for each member to understand the actions that are taken if/when we begin receiving virus emails from you.
1) Every time we receive a virus laden email from an EX5Tech member, I first identify that member and his/her Internet Service Provider (ISP) by IP address.
2) Next, I send that member an email message informing him/her of the problem, and ask that he/she scan and disinfect him/her computer as soon as possible.
3) If I do not receive a response to my email, and/or if we continue to receive virus laden email messages, I send another email as a reminder.
4) In some cases, I will also post a message here in the discussion forums to alert the member to the problem. I do this whenever I have evidence to suggest that the member may not be receiving my email messages.
5) If I *still* do not receive a response to my email or forum post, and/or if we still continue to receive email viruses, I block the member from the discussion forums. This means that the member will not be able to so much as view the discussion forums, let alone post or download.
I *really* hate to block IP addresses from the discussion forums, and I use that only as a last resort. However, the number and size of virus laden email messages has become a rather severe problem. In one particular case that has continued for months, I am actually considering having the member's range of IP addresses blocked from the ex5tech.com SERVER. This would of course block the member not just from the discussion forums, but from the main site as well, and would prevent any email communication from that member to us.
MORAL OF THE STORY - If one day you find yourself blocked from the discussion forums, disinfect your computer, then contact me.
- - - - -
On a related note... It has come to my attention that a few of you have received virus laden emails *supposedly* from me or from another ex5tech.com email address (such as "admin", "torus", "dacook", etc.). I can assure you that these virus emails are NOT coming from us. If you know how to check the IP addresses in the headers of the email, you'll see that they are coming from the infected machines of another EX5Tech member who has one of the EX5Tech Team's email addresses in their contact list.
MORAL OF THE SECOND STORY - If you ever receive an unannounced email message containing an attachment supposedly from me or another ex5tech.com email address, DO NOT OPEN IT. If you know how to examine the email header and determine the real sender's IP address, please get that information and let me know. Otherwise, just delete the email message to prevent your own machine from becoming infected.
- - - - -
Thanks for your understanding, and many thanks to all of you who are diligent in preventing your own computers from becoming infected.