my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  EX5Tech Discussion   » Other Synths, Equipment, & Software   » Yamaha FM Synths - DX, TX, FS1R, etc.   » USB Floppy Emulator: The Yamaha List (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: USB Floppy Emulator: The Yamaha List
EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted January 04, 2011 05:18 AM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello everyone. Long post ahead.

I am starting this thread in order to offer my experiences and also in hopes that some users will add to it so that we can form a list of "older" (I won't say vintage) Yamaha instruments that can be upgraded with a USB floppy emulator.

In the past we had discussions about adding USB to the EX series of synths or even to the SY series. This was not possible because the synth to be "USB-upgraded" would require drivers to be loaded to it in order to see the USB adapter. But can it be done? The answer is positive; however it would require reverse engineering of every synth to be upgraded and changing the firmware on the ROMs of the synth for it to see only one specific USB adapter. By USB adapter I mean that the synth would be seen by a computer as a peripheral, not as a host device.

Yamaha included this option in its newer creations of course. Those of us with the older SCSI-equipped instruments can find a way around this limitation by using SCSI to USB adapters or something similar to this and we always had to deal with various issues. Then came the emulators but musical instruments were not the cause of their appearance; CNC machines caused some individuals to work out the problem of failing floppy drives and in the end a product known as a USB emulator came to exist. Someone thought to use one in his keyboard and here we are now.

Not everybody understands the difference between an emulator and a simulator. Both deal with the modeling of a system. By modeling we mean that if the math that describe a system is known then we can create a program that will have inputs and it will produce outputs exactly in the way the actual system would do. That is how we "run" multiple nuclear explosions and we measure their output by checking numbers on a computer screen, that's how we know what the weather might look tomorrow, etc.

The better the model the more accurate the results will be. The better the model the more computing power we need and in addition we almost never have results in real time, meaning the simulation of an event that in real life takes one second to occur may take minutes or hours to be completed while the computer crunches the numbers. Because a computer is a machine that has the ability to run various programs it is also possible to use the same machine to predict the weather, to calculate the output of a new gas engine, to perform a virtual operation on a patient, etc, etc.

If we want to simulate a slow system and we use a fast processor to do that and in addition the processor runs only the same program again and again then we have an emulator and the input/output events of that device happen as fast as they would in the actual system. That's what the USB floppy emulator does. It behaves as a floppy drive and it is a host device, not a peripheral. That means a computer cannot be connected to the emulator in order to see the synth where the emulator is attached to. The synth on the other hand can see the USB stick that is attached to the emulator. It reads and writes to it at about the same speed or a bit faster than it would with a real floppy drive. The gain is not speed though, it's convenience. Instead of having 100 floppies lying around we have one USB stick that carries 100 virtual floppies. A computer can access them but only one at a time and only with the use of special software.

I bought two emulators in order to test them with my musical instruments. The picture below shows what they look like and it also shows the rear side of them.

On the left we see the $80 version of the emulator, with S/H included in the price. On the right we see the $40 version, again with S/H included. Does the red switch justify the extra $40? No, because you can add it yourselves and sometimes it is not even needed. The arrows point to some important features:

A. The 100-floppy version must have a LED display that counts from 00 to 99. When the stick is not present the two "dots" of the display are ON; otherwise they are OFF.

B. The red switch that adds $40 to the price of the drive.

C. One of the two LEDs is missing but in reality it is not. You must open the drive and bend its pins to make it go through the front hole. Why they solder the LED and then hide it is something that I do not know.

D. That little hole can be used as a guide to add your own red switch if you wish.

E. The point where the red switch is connected to.

F. The $40 drive replaces the red switch with a jumper at the same two pins.

G. The notch of the IDC connector of the old floppy drive must match the new drive. Otherwise you might destroy your equipment.

So what does the switch do? The floppy disk controller needs to know that a drive is present. Pin 12 of the 34-pin IDC connector is the /DRVSB signal, meaning Drive Select B. Pin 10 is the /DRVSA signal but in the case of the emulator the Drive Select A is not used. If there is a jumper there then the host device (computer, CNC machine, keyboard) can select the drive (enable it) and then move on with read, write, format, and other operations. Some Yamaha equipment enables that signal all the time, even when the drive is not used. However when that signal is enabled the user of the emulator cannot change the virtual floppies that he wants to use. A press on the red switch disconnects the /DRVSB signal and then one of the 100 virtual floppies can be selected.

I have tested three devices with the emulators so far. The red button version resides inside a QY700 currently. The red button is of no use to say the truth. The QY700 does not keep the /DRVSB signal enabled all the time. As long as none of the two LEDs on the front are on, the user can change the number of the floppy he wishes to use. Some refreshing of the catalog file is required though, so the proper menus/functions must be accessed on the QY700 to make it realize that a drive change took place.

The second drive currently resides inside a QS300 keyboard. That keyboard is smart enough to detect changes of virtual floppies without the need of a red button.

The third device that I tested was the A3000 sampler. Again I am not sure if the red switch is required but in case that you buy the $40 version you should be able to add an ON/OFF switch for less than $5. You do need to know how to use a drill and a soldering iron of course. You also need a toggle action switch, not a momentary one.

As I have explained in another thread I did some benchmark tests. For this reason I used the first of four demo disks that Yamaha included with the A4000/A5000 samplers; they can be found on the appropriate Yahoo groups. The A3000 was fitted with a Sony MPF920-1 drive initially. A Staples-branded new 1.44MB floppy disk was used and loaded with the demo files. Here are the differences between the actual floppy drive and the USB emulator:

Format process
Sony: 2min 21 sec , Emulator: 2min 4sec (17% faster)

Load process (ALL contents)
Sony: 2min 56sec , Emulator: 2min 25sec (17.6% faster)

Save process (ALL contents)
Sony: 5min 38sec , Emulator: 5min 36sec (basically no change)

One important detail to keep in mind is that your synth must be able to use 1.44MB disks with its original drive. If it uses 720kB disks these two emulators won't work for you. Various ebay sellers list the 720kB version along with the 1.44MB one but it is more expensive. Should it be? Nope. The difference is in the software only. The 2DD drives use one half of the frequency of the 2HD drives to output data and that can be easily taken care of in the software (firmware) of the emulator. The ebay sellers of course assume that they are dealing with a moron when they respond to my questions and expect me to pay big bucks for their 720kB version. It won't happen.

Why do I need the 720kB version? Because the SY99 used originally a 720kB drive. Currently it uses a 1.44MB Sony drive and it requires a special adapter to access it. If the 1.44MB USB emulator was emulating a 1.44MB floppy drive by 100% then it would work with my adapter that interfaces the Sony to the SY99. But because it is not emulating everything at 100% the emulators pictured above cannot be made to function as 720kB drives and hence they did not work with the SY99 or the SY85.

A lot of the pins shown in the pictures are of no use. In fact these two emulators are knock-offs made in China and nobody knows where the original one came from. They are of good quality though and because I took the time to open them and test some of the internal jumpers I was able to observe their workmanship and design.

So the list at this point is QY700, QS300 and A3000. The EX5R could use these emulators too. Its floppy controller is the same as the one used in the other three instruments. The connections of its 34-pin interface are also the same as far as I can say by looking at the service manuals. To that list you can add the PSR7000 and PSR8000 since both use the same controller as the other instruments mentioned here. In case that you decide to upgrade your equipment with a USB emulator remember to take the time and post your results on this thread. Other members may find it useful.

Last, I have some links that may be of help. The cheap version is sold by "i889900" and can be found here (after my posts in other forums the emulators are selling faster):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290507795223

The free software is here:
http://www.ipcas.com/download/products/usb-floppy/usb-floppy-format-t ool_v123_sfd.zip

but this side also has an older and more stable version of it; use google to translate it from chinese to your language:
http://qhsfd.com/product.asp

Well, I think I said enough. It took me a few weeks to compile information from many sites, to read through many documents and to do some tests with my equipment. I hope that all the information posted here will be useful to someone.

Regards,
DrF

UPDATE (Feb 16, 2011): It is recommended that you avoid the above mentioned seller on Ebay. He has been changing the emulators that he sells frequently and what you get might not work with your synthesizer/keyboard. His price stays the same but the quality changes a lot. Try to buy the emulators pictured above from someone else.

[ February 16, 2011: Message edited by: EX5_etc ]

Posts: 271 | From: CA, USA (land of the politically correct hippies...) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted January 17, 2011 02:30 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is an update on how I bypass the red button that I leave always in the ON position (pressed in) when using the QY700 sequencer:

1) Power up the QY700.
2) Press "Disk" button.
3) Press "Load" soft-button.
4) Press "All Data" soft-button. You should see a blank menu.
6) Press "EXIT" button.
7) Press "All Data" soft-button. You should see a menu populated with the contents of the first (00) virtual disk.

Assume that you want to check another virtual disk. If you are still on the screen shown in step (7) above continue like this without touching the red button:

8) Press "EXIT" button.
9) Change the virtual disk number that you want to use using the two small buttons of the emulator. Wait until both LEDs of the emulator are OFF.
10) Press "All Data" soft-button. You should see a menu populated with the contents of the new disk but also some of the contents of the previous disk.
11) Press "EXIT" button.
12) Press "All Data" soft-button. You should see a menu populated with the correct contents of the new virtual disk this time.

Basically you need to access the new disk twice if you want to see the correct list with the files (also called "catalog file" in DOS terms). Or use the red button that should eliminate the additional steps described above. For a savings of about $40 I would not mind the additional steps.

Also, some small older USB sticks may not work well with the emulator. The links on the previous post guide you to this site:
http://qhsfd.com/product.asp

Use Google to translate it from Chinese to whatever language you wish. Then check the pdf files; one of them is a list with USB sticks that should work with the emulator. Of course there are others that should work too but a stick (or a SanDisk Ultra II Plus SD card) with a capacity of over 512MB should be working for most users.

Also, there are two versions of the software out there, v120_sfd.exe and v123_sfd.exe, but I only use the "120" because the "123" seems to be a hacked one and gave me some trouble.

One last step: before you format your 100 "floppies" you must format the USB stick to its maximum continuous capacity with the v120_sfd.exe utility, by using its third and final screen/menu. It appears that it is not the same as if you format it under Windows. Don't ask me why, I have no idea as to what that software does but it allows you to change the minimum size that a file occupies on a disk. You can do this with Windows too but you have to open the Disk Management tools and try. So, using the v120_sfd.exe utility makes things easier.

The additional steps I describe above are not required for the A3000 sampler. It finds and updates the new "catalog file" on the first try.

Regards,
DrF

Posts: 271 | From: CA, USA (land of the politically correct hippies...) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
69tele
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 7858

posted January 30, 2011 08:31 AM     Profile for 69tele   Email 69tele     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
excellent thread, there's a similiar thread on the korg forum with the same drives.

it also seems important to order the one with the LED screen to change the virtual floppy images.

where did you order yours ebay ?

also with the 720kb version work in a v50 ?

thanks !

if in doubt leave it out !

Posts: 5 | From: Gibraltar | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted February 06, 2011 08:24 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello 69tele.

My first post contains the link with the ebay listing. That auction is closed now but the seller (his ebay ID is on the first post too) has started a new auction.

A few weeks ago he offered a different emulator that I bought to test it. It looks a lot (but it is not the same) like the one sold by ipcas.com and after extensive testing it proved to be useless for any Yamaha device, including those that I mentioned on my second post.

So, everyone is advised to stick with the two emulators shown in the picture above. Both LEDs must be above the two buttons. Other versions most likely will not work.

The V50 may or may not work with the 720k version. If it does then the SY99 and SY85 might work too. But as I said I do not want to throw a lot of money to a device that might work. When I bought the one that did not work I spent around $43 and that's OK, I do that sometimes for testing purposes. So, unless the price of the 720k emulator drops by 50% I have no plans to buy it and test it.

All of them are the same but they have a slightly different firmware that I have seen listed on an Italian web site. if you buy from them they give you every conceivable firmware they have and you get to program their emulator as you wish for any capacity you like. But it is expensive: http://members.fortunecity.it/blackvisionit/emufdd_en.htm.

Regards,
DrF

[ March 23, 2011: Message edited by: EX5_etc ]

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted August 20, 2011 01:17 AM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One more addition to the list is the PSR1000. This was one of the first to be advertised on ebay as a candidate to replace the floppy drive with the emulator. I added this keyboard to my collection recently and I am using a USB emulator with it.

One important detail though is that it REQUIRES an emulator with the RED button. Yamaha for unknown reasons designed this keyboard to check the drive all the time and hence you cannot switch virtual drives unless there is a RED button to disable Yamaha's "check" temporarily. A press on the RED button disconnects the drive and allows the user to switch virtual floppies. As soon as the RED button is pressed again the screen on the PSR updates automatically with the contents of the new virtual floppy.

I have put a few hundred midi files on the first few virtual disks of a tiny USB stick and I switch on the "chain-song" feature that allows the PSR to play all the files on that disk one after the other, assuming that the files contain no errors; otherwise it stops and gives an error message. It works like a charm. When all the files go through I have to manually switch the virtual disk of course.

The right LED is always on and it means that the PSR is checking the drive all the time. The left LED is on only when the emulator is accessing the USB stick. Another issue I noticed is that I cannot put more than 120 files on any virtual disk. I do not remember if that is a DOS limitation or if there is another reason for that behavior.

This emulator allows the user to format all the 100 virtual floppies on the keyboard one by one. That of course takes a little less than 2 hours to happen, so it is recommended that you use the proper software to format the stick on a PC in about 2 minutes. You will have to use the software anyway to access any one of the virtual floppies of the stick on a PC, so it's not a big deal. It is good to have options though. The USB stick that I use is a Maxell Onyx 2GB. It's as tiny as it can be and that's where its name originates from.

Last, the RED button on my PSR emulator is actually silver. I bought the cheap $45 version without a button and I added one. As I have said above I saw no reason to pay an additional $25 to $40 for a cheap $2 switch with a color button.

DrF

muspace
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 5236

posted August 20, 2011 05:09 PM     Profile for muspace   Email muspace     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just to make an update following mr. SKI's statements (please visit it: here)

*... thanks again to EX5_etc/Dr. F for his efforts... please keep in mind that while such a device will certainly add to your CONVENIENCE, it will not add to your FUNCTIONALITY.

CONVENIENCE - Such a device would be a bit faster than floppy disks, and would save you the time of shuffling multiple floppy disks.

FUNCTIONALITY - Such a device will NOT enable you to load the larger .s1m WAVE files available on our downloads pages, nor will it allow you (as Jim stated) to load an individual .wav SAMPLE file larger than 1.44 mb.

Ski www.ex5tech.com

Thanks and greetings to all!
Muspy

[ August 20, 2011: Message edited by: muspace ]

(Jim: edit to fix broken link)

[ August 24, 2011: Message edited by: Jim ]

Posts: 161 | From: italy | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted August 23, 2011 07:51 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll agree to that and I always keep in mind that the floppy emulators were not meant to be used with music keyboards when they were first produced. Their original intended use was on CNC machines; the floppy disks and drives in those machines did not last long due to the harsh environment. It was also unproductive to have a bunch of floppies around and use each time the one with the proper program on it. Hence the USB emulator made life a bit easier for operators and IT support.

Then some keyboard user said "what if..." and we know the rest. I think that you can load long samples split in multiple virtual floppies but only on the A3k/4k/5k sampler series. I just think, I do not say that I am 100% sure about this.

DrF

Alexandro
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8005

posted October 30, 2011 02:37 PM     Profile for Alexandro   Email Alexandro     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've bought on emulator from "i889900" seller on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290507795223
but it doesn't work well, my EX5 reads files that I put from computer to memory stick ,but doesn't save any file.

Jim
EX5Tech Team
Member # 494

posted October 31, 2011 04:54 AM     Profile for Jim   Email Jim     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The emulator you bought does not look exactly like the one in EX5_etc's post. He also gives this warning - "UPDATE (Feb 16, 2011): It is recommended that you avoid the above mentioned seller on Ebay. He has been changing the emulators that he sells frequently and what you get might not work with your synthesizer/keyboard. His price stays the same but the quality changes a lot. Try to buy the emulators pictured above from someone else."

I don't know what you may have tried already but my few thoughts are - either something has changed in the emulator (replace it), you have an incorrect jumper position (try others), you are not doing something in the steps required to enable the EX to recognise the 'floppy' (review the post and try some different steps), the USB stick is not compatible (try others) or it needs preparing properly on a PC with the formatting software (review and try again).

These devices can be picky, you don't have the one with the red switch to force a drive change (did you fit one?) so it could be a newer model that just isn't compatible. If you are adept at electronics there may be a fix, if not the safest route would be to return it and find an exact match for the ones in the post.

[ October 31, 2011: Message edited by: Jim ]

Jim
Microsoft browsers are a bit better but still rubbish and leaky, don't tolerate them. Get Firefox now! Run, don't walk! http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Posts: 2586 | From: Stourbridge, West Midlands UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted November 01, 2011 12:15 AM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Alexandro.

Whatever Jim said plus some details I posted on Feb 6, 2011: "A few weeks ago he offered a different emulator that I bought to test it. It looks a lot (but it is not the same) like the one sold by ipcas.com and after extensive testing it proved to be useless for any Yamaha device, including those that I mentioned on my second post."

I took a look at your ebay link and unfortunately it shows an emulator in a black plastic box with the two LEDs on the left and right side of the box. That was the emulator I got from the same ebay guy on my second order and it did not work with my Yamaha gear. If you take a look at ipcas.com you will see that it resembles a lot their version 2 emulator:
http://www.ipcas.com/products/usb-floppy-emulator-fdd-to-udd.html

I specifically said, don't buy that thing. It's actually strange that you were able to read some files from it. My A3000 that uses the same floppy circuit as the EX5R does, failed miserably to work with the same emulator that you bought.

Basically you are left with a nice paperweight as I did. I have no idea what the circuit inside the emulator does. All I know is that the two shown on the first post work fine; I've tested them.

All these devices are copies of some original that nobody knows where it came from. Then one manufacturer stole from the other, changed a label outside the box or the color of the box, stole some software, hacked the software to put their own name on it (compare versions 120 and 123 and you will see what I mean) and basically everyone tries to make money on ebay by milking some people.

It's better to read many times what I wrote and what others wrote in other forums and then follow the instructions/recommendations as close as possible.

Good luck.
DrF

Daniel_L
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3743

posted November 06, 2011 04:35 PM     Profile for Daniel_L   Email Daniel_L     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if this is "old news", but have you seen this alternative (apparently supporting a wide range of devices from old computers over to samplers, etc):
http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html#FILESSUPPORTED

Looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-Floppy-Emulator-Rev-C-BLUE-EDITION-/170720610854?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item27bfbdca26

And cased, like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-Floppy-Emulator-Blue-Rev-C-CASED-/170720611235?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item27bfbdcba3#ht_6309wt_1397

Posts: 392 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
mabromwich
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8322

posted December 14, 2011 11:32 AM     Profile for mabromwich   Email mabromwich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a Yamaha Clavinova CVP85a. The 720DD drive recently failed and I bought a 720kb dd floppy emulator for Clavinova CVP: EBAY (http://www.ebay.com/itm/720kb-2DD-Floppy-Emulator-Yamaha-Clavinova-CVP-/170700312144?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item27be880e50#ht_2214wt_986)

I initially swapped it in without problem and hooked up the 34 pin connector and power connector without problem. It powered up but no green lights came on.

I put a Din Pin on M0 (slow read) and now it appears to be reading the disk and the keyboard appears to recognize that the drive is there. Other jumpers are set JA (not sure what this does) and S0 (which is the disk select I believe). I also tried closing J8 (which apparently sets 720 or 1.44 but made no difference)

However, when I put a pre-formatted jump drive in the keyboard asks to format the drive. So I did, and then I can record/play back from what appears to be the jump drive (can't prove that though). When I turn off the keyboard or try to switch virtual disks the data disappears.

If I take the jump drive back to my computer it doesn't appear to have been formatted and the previously "saved" data (by the keyboard) is not there but my old stuff is. So I think that although the keyboard thought it formatted the disk that it did not actually do so.

Jumper Block1:
J5 (open)
Ja (closed)
JC (open)
JB (open)
S0 (closed)
S1 (open)
M0 (closed)

Jumper Block 2:
J8 (open)
Unknown
Unknown
Unknown
Unknown

My question is this:
1) Are there specific jumper setting which will make this work.
2) Do I need and adaptor like mikes blunt (I already have 34 pins) - so no?
3) Do I need other PC software to correctly format?
4) will this ever work - is there something else - like swapping wires in the cable etc?

View Item Here

[ December 14, 2011: Message edited by: mabromwich ]

[Jim: broken link fixed]

[ December 15, 2011: Message edited by: Jim ]

Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jim
EX5Tech Team
Member # 494

posted December 15, 2011 03:45 AM     Profile for Jim   Email Jim     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, and a warm seasonal welcome to EX5Tech. I can't help you with this one but hopefully someone will pop by who can. You will also get some good help over on Yamaha Forums where I see you have asked the question as well. Please pop back and let us know how you get on.

BTW I hope you don't mind, the URL seemed to be broken so I have fixed it.

[ December 15, 2011: Message edited by: Jim ]

Jim
Microsoft browsers are a bit better but still rubbish and leaky, don't tolerate them. Get Firefox now! Run, don't walk! http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Posts: 2586 | From: Stourbridge, West Midlands UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
piper
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 51

posted December 17, 2011 05:51 PM     Profile for piper   Email piper     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know nothing about the Clavinova or the emulator. However, I think this might be a clue in this bullet point in the eBay listing:
quote:
The USB memory stick must be formatted into 100 x 720KB by our software before use with the USB Floppy Drive Emulator. This software is small, easy to use and click to run (no need to install).

Is the "pre-formatted jump drive" you are using formatted with the special software provided with the emulator?

After you format on the PC can the PC read/write to the 100 virtual drives (I assume they are folders)?

Also, this You Tube video shows - at the 2 minute point - what the jumper settings do:

You Tube link

(If the link doesn't work search You Tube for this title:
Usb floppy drive emulators - be aware of resellers! )

Also pay attention to the warnings at 2:41. Particularly

quote:
(MANY DEVICES WILL REJECT IT)

This video doesn't include the jumper settings and have a bit more dire warning about the emulators in general:

You Tube link 2

Good luck! I hope you can get it to work.

Posts: 1705 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
piper
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 51

posted December 17, 2011 06:09 PM     Profile for piper   Email piper     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mabromwich - Also, reread the "One last step:" paragraph in the EX50etc Jan. 17 post above.
Posts: 1705 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mabromwich
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8322

posted December 19, 2011 11:20 PM     Profile for mabromwich   Email mabromwich     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I tried the format thing again using their software. Also I watched the two videos you posted. The inside of the drive is a little different. I suppose it has been updated. Some of the jumpers are the same. I tried a variety of combinations. For anyone else reading I found you had to have M0 and JA for it to work at all. I am unsure if you need J5 and J8. I believe my piano reads at "slow" (hence the need for M0 jumper so that should be the "reject it" part.

Anything else?

Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fugazi
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8181

posted January 26, 2012 10:51 AM     Profile for Fugazi   Email Fugazi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EX5_etc, thanks for the information in this thread.
Unfortunately, I bought my emulator before seeing this thread, and I have one of the cheap models without the RED button.

I have an EX-5R, and while I was able to format the USB stick and transfer data from my PC to the EX, I can't make the EX identify that I'm switching disk images in the emulator.

I press the small buttons and see the numbers in the emulator change, but the EX is stuck on the 1st disk image.

I guess that makes sense with what you wrote about the Red button which is needed for the EX5, am I correct?

Is there away to maybe add that button myself?

Posts: 8 | From: Israel | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted January 31, 2012 01:55 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello.

That problem with the synth stuck on the first disk sounds familiar though I do not recall which one of my devices did it. You can add the red button; it does not actually have to be a button switch. A toggle switch (on/off style) will also do.

As I have explained there should be a small jumper on the back of your emulator, as shown in the picture above. Find a small switch that can be attached to the front of the emulator. Do not use a push-button momentary switch, it won't work. Then you must connect two small wires from the switch to the place where the jumper is. If possible before you do that try this process: turn on the synth with the emulator attached and then try to access a file on the first partition. Remove the jumper by hand and then change the drive partition to the next one. Put the jumper back in and try to access that partition with the synth. Sometimes you have to cycle through the menus twice. Don't ask me why, Yamaha wrote the firmware and I have no clue what it does.

If that process works then the switch addition will work for you as well. If it does not there is little we can do. I assume that you have the emulator shown above and not some other model of course.

Let us know how it works for you.
DrF

Fugazi
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8181

posted February 02, 2012 11:29 AM     Profile for Fugazi   Email Fugazi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the answer, unfortunately, the model I bought has a different jumpers arrangement, they are internal and there are less of them.
I believe my model is the same as this one:
http://www.ipcas.com/download/products/usb-floppy/usb-floppy-emulation-manual.pdf

It doesn't carry the same logo, but it looks the same internally and externally.

I don't think I can attach a screen shot, but the above pdf link contains all the details.

I tried to remove the J2 jumper which seemed related, but when I remove it the EX5 cannot read the USB stick at all.

Any idea?

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted February 02, 2012 12:18 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have said multiple times on this thread to avoid buying anything that looks like the "ipcas" model. They are not compatible with Yamaha synths and nobody seems to have any experience with them; I have found nothing on the net about people using this particular drive with synthesizers. Plus they are more expensive. Never buy any drive that does not have both LEDs above the two small buttons. Period.

Try to find something cheap from ebay, something that looks exactly like the two drives shown above. And never pay more than $40 for it including shipping to any place on this planet.

Alternatively, you can ask the people that sold you the drive for any recommendations as to what you can do with the various jumpers. They should know better than anyone else what the jumpers do.

I have no other advice to offer.

DrF

Fugazi
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8181

posted February 03, 2012 05:42 AM     Profile for Fugazi   Email Fugazi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, like I said I bought this thing before I saw your thread, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Since you say you are not familiar with this model, at least I can share my experience with it which is - it does work with the EX5, but I can't make the EX5 recognize more than one partition which is a shame - still, its better than using floppies.

And just for the record, the model I bought cost me 20$ including shipment so my lose is not too big.

I'll see what I can make out of it and maybe upgrade later if I see fit.

Thanks anyway for the information and support.

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted February 06, 2012 07:22 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess I should have read your prior posting more carefully. My bad. Anyway, $20 is not a bad price just for trying. Many of our problems with these emulators would have been solved if we had access to the firmware. Then a simple cable to download a modified firmware file would be easy to make. Of course I am just dreaming here...

DrF

Floppy Bobby
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8441

posted February 12, 2012 04:08 AM     Profile for Floppy Bobby   Email Floppy Bobby     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good Morning folks,

let me present my experience with that GOTEK USB-Floppy-Emulator as seen in EX5-etc's pictures. The emulator has the SFRB430 PCB installed, but came WITHOUT THAT Red Button and I am not talking about the IPCAS Emulator. So I bought this EMU on eBay for only 25€, that was the risk worth it.

As I installed the EMU into my Yamaha RM1x, I was not able to save or load anything. Unfortunately I didnīt read the manual first
So after reading the manual and installing the appropriate software on my WIN7-64-System I came to following problems:
The Software (floppy manager SFD v1.23 is not (yet) able to activate the "Multi-Floppy-Service" on Win7-x64, so I could not setup my Pendrive to 100 partitions of 1,44 MB - however I was successfull downgrading my 4GBFAT32 Pendrive to 1,44MBFAT12 (one instead of 100 Disks). I talked to the serviceteam from IPCAS (they sell their EMUs with the same software) and they told me a x64-Compatible version will be downloadable approx March2012.
With my 1,44MB-Pendrive I went to my RM1x trying to SAVE-LOAD-etc.
OK, saving was possible but my RM1x did not display TOC after restart.
The saved file was available on the PC, but not on the RM1x. Seemed like a "Disk changed"-Signal was missing.
Well, as discribed in the former posts of this thread, I stole a reset switch of a discarded PC-housing, switched the wires from NormalOpen to NormalClosed and installed it on the S0 Jumper slot in the EMU.
To read the TOC from the USB Stick, I have to Push the button (Disable Drive), save something so a "Disk Changed" Signal appears, then go to LOAD and release the button (... or similar, donīt remember the exact sequence :-/)

Thats how I made the GOTEK Emulator work for so far on my Win7-x64-System vs. Yamaha RM1x ...

I hope this might help the one or other ...

Best regards

Donīt try to make good music - just make music and appears good :-)

Posts: 1 | From: Germany | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jim
EX5Tech Team
Member # 494

posted February 12, 2012 07:14 AM     Profile for Jim   Email Jim     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the useful info, FB, and welcome to EX5Tech

Jim

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted July 26, 2012 12:56 AM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This update concerns a 720K USB emulator that I used in my SY85, model SFRM72-TU100K. It sells currently for $44 (S/H included) by seller "suntekstore" on ebay. The "100" refers to the 100 virtual floppies you can make on a USB stick with this device. The emulator must have a sticker on the front with the proper model number on it. If it says SFRM144-TU100K don't buy it. Here is a picture with some details:

The emulator arrived with two jumpers installed on the rear side, one at point "A" and one at point "B". The jumper from point "B" was moved to point "C" because the SY85 uses the Drive Select B signal (point "C" or S1 on the PCB) instead of the Drive Select A signal (point "B" or S0 on the PCB). I also noticed that the front left LED (point "D") was hiding inside the unit, exactly as I have described on this thread about the 1.44M USB emulators. It was easy to carefully bend its pins and let its "head" pass through the front hole. The right LED is dimmed and stays ON all the time, exactly as the LED of a real drive does with the SY85.

Due to various issues during my tests I removed jumper "A", drilled a hole on the front, attached a push ON/OFF switch (point "F" in the picture) and soldered a 2-wire cable to it that I had attached with a small connector to point "A" where the jumper was. Point "A" is the second pair of pins from the left, as we look at the picture, "B" is the 5th pair, "C" the 6th, etc. If you buy this device do not expect it to have that ON/OFF switch; you must supply your own.

Before any tests a 100-drive format of the USB stick was required. I used an old funny looking 1GB USB stick I had around. The software was included on the CD but I already had it from previous purchases. V120_SFD or V123_SFD will both work. As another user has mentioned here, neither software will work in Windows 7. They require a Win XP machine and running in compatibility XP mode on a Win 7 machine yields nothing because even though the program starts it cannot switch ON the 100-floppies option.

During the format test unexpected behavior occurred and I found that the USB emulators are not plug and play, they are plug and don't touch. In other words, when you switch them ON they configure themselves according to the jumpers they "see" on the first 4 pairs of pins. After that, even if you change those jumpers the emulator won't change behavior. That does not apply to the 5th and 6th pair. The 7th is of no use as it tells the drive to start the motor that does not exist of course.

Here is how the 720K emulator works with the SY85 according to my tests. It features two modes of operation, one where you can read whatever you wish from 100 virtual floppies with the switch always in the ON position (or jumper "A" in place) and one where you have to remove the stick and inserted it again EVERY TIME you want to read AND save something on a different virtual disk. For this mode the switch must be OFF all the time or the jumper at point "A" must be completely removed. In addition you cannot switch from one mode to the other without POWERING THE SY85 OFF. The problem lies with the fact that the SY85 is not informed correctly that a new disk has been "inserted" or more accurately "switched" and it cannot always update the new file catalog. Pain in the butt if you ask me but I did not write the firmware for the emulator or the SY85.

The process (according to my tests) to correctly use this emulator with the SY85 starts by formating the USB stick with the included software, V120 or V123. The software creates 100 virtual floppies on the stick and hence no formatting is required by the SY85. Anyone that decides to install this emulator on their SY85 machine will never use the SY85 format utility again. After the 100 floppies are created, SY85 files can be transferred to them by dragging and dropping between windows but the formatting utility is the only way to switch between those floppies on a PC so that you can copy files to and from them. As an example in the steps outlined below we will assume that we are on virtual disk "04" and want to switch to virtual disk "35".

Mode 1: reading files from various virtual floppies - no saving works well in this mode

1) While the SY85 is powered OFF the switch of the emulator must be in the ON position or the jumper must be set at point "A".
2) Turn the SY85 ON; it does not matter what menu you are under when the screen lights up.
3) Use the emulator buttons to select drive "04".
4) Call the "utility/disk" menu and press "EXIT/NO"; the data of the "04" floppy will be displayed on the SY85 screen. This is how you update the file catalog. This step may not be required the first time you access the emulator after power ON.
5) Load the file you wish and when you are finished you can play the sounds, songs, etc on your synth.
6) Use the emulator buttons to select drive "35"; it does not matter what menu you are under in your SY85.
7) Call the "utility/disk" menu and press "EXIT/NO"; the data of the "35" floppy will be displayed on the SY85 screen. This is how you update the file catalog.
8) Load the file you wish and when you are finished you can play the sounds, songs, etc on your synth.
9) Repeat the process as many times as you wish.

Mode 2: reading files from various virtual floppies - saving works well in this mode

1) While the SY85 is powered OFF the switch of the emulator must be in the OFF position or the jumper must NOT be set at point "A".
2) Turn the SY85 ON; switch to any menu other than "utility".
3) Use the emulator buttons to select drive "04".
4) Without doing anything else remove the stick from the emulator.
5) Call the "utility/disk" menu. The right emulator LED should get brighter, the left LED may or may not be ON, it does not matter.
6) Insert the USB stick; the SY85 screen updates automatically. You can load the file you wish from disk "04" and when you are finished you can play the sounds, songs, etc on your synth.
7) Switch to any menu other than "utility".
8) Use the emulator buttons to select drive "35".
9) Without doing anything else remove the stick from the emulator.
10) Call the "utility/disk" menu. The right emulator LED should get brighter, the left LED may or may not be ON, it does not matter.
11) Insert the USB stick; the SY85 screen updates automatically. You can load/save the file you wish from/on disk "35".
12) Repeat the process as many times as you wish.

Keep in mind that you cannot have it both ways. You either use the first mode or the second. At least that is what my tests showed. To change from Mode 1 to Mode 2 you must power the SY85 OFF. If you intend to SAVE something you MUST power ON the synth with the emulator in Mode 2. If you do buy the emulator I discuss here and find another way around this fell free to post your findings.

One last thing: I do not use the emulator with my SY85. I bought it for the SY99, so after the tests were finished the emulator was removed from the SY85 and the synth was put in storage. I simply wanted to see how things would work for the SY85. The original thread is here:
http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5716

DrF

[ July 26, 2012: Message edited by: EX5_etc ]

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted July 27, 2012 02:49 AM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One more member of the Yamaha family can be added to the list of devices that work with an emulator: the venerable SY99.

You will need the proper 34-to-26 pin adapter to use the 720K emulator with the SY99. To the best of my knowledge nobody sells them (please correct me if I am wrong) but you can ask some members at yamahaforums.co.uk who made their own version if they will make one for you. I do not make those adapters anymore nor do I wish to explain how to make them without employing a PCB. My adapters worked with the SY77 as well and consisted of one 34-pin notched male IDC connector without strain relief, one 26-pin notched male IDC connector with strain relief, one foot of 34-wire flat ribbon cable and a 4-pin power connector for the drive. Below is a picture of the last adapter I made years ago. It is attached to the 720K USB floppy emulator that is mounted on the SY99 drive tray. I added a strain relief on the 34-pin IDC connector because the emulator is shorter than a regular drive and hence there is plenty of room behind it to fit everything.

The emulator sits nicely inside the SY99 as the following picture shows.

Originally I used that blue 1GB USB stick shown on my previous post. It was a bit too big and hence I switched to the smallest USB stick you can find on the planet. It's not even a stick, it's a USB reader as the insert in the picture above shows. I use a similar one on my PSR1000. A tiny 2GB micro SD card is stored inside the reader and then the reader can be plugged into the emulator but not before the proper formatting process takes place. I have not tested the emulator with a micro SDHC card and have no idea if such a card will work. You can always use a small USB stick or a SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus Card, the one that folds to reveal a USB connector.

The picture above shows a black screw on the front right side of the emulator. It does not come with one. The screw covers the hole of the switch I described on the previous post. The second insert picture was taken under low light conditions to show the LEDs while the SY99 was accessing virtual disk "02". The blue glow is emitted by the USB stick/reader that I used.

Point "G" shows a notch on the rear side of the emulator. It must match the connector that you will use. The lower pins of that connector are all grounded. The important signals are on the upper row of pins. As I have already explained the emulator ships with two jumpers attached to points "A" and "B". You must remove the one at point "A" and you must move the other from point "B" to point "C". Points "B" and "C" are the drive motor enable signals but I won't elaborate more. Read my other posts on the SY85 drive mod if you wish to know all the details.

As soon as the SY99 powers up the emulator will show "00" if a USB stick is attached to it, or "0.0." if nothing is attached. Choose any virtual disk you wish and read it with the SY99. You can load and save files on the stick. If you wish to perform a read/write on a different virtual floppy simply use the emulator buttons to select it and the SY99 will access it without problems or additional operations. I was able to use the SY99 duplication function and copied virtual disk "05" to "15". It took a long time exactly as it takes when you do it with actual floppies but there is nothing to take in and out of the synth. You only need to select the proper virtual disk number with the emulator buttons when the synth asks you to swap disks. Avoid mixing those numbers.

For more details and timing measurements for load/save operations you may visit the original thread here:
http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=5723

DrF

[ August 04, 2012: Message edited by: EX5_etc ]

astronaut
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8680

posted July 29, 2012 01:16 PM     Profile for astronaut   Email astronaut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
greets!

do you guys have any idea which pins on this board have what functions?

I bought this emulator from ebay, and have the same problem described in one of the posts. I have an Yamaha RM1x that does not refresh when the disk is switched. I can get it to work, but I have to click a lot of buttons, turn the encoders.... and it works different each time, so it's not really a solution.

[ July 29, 2012: Message edited by: astronaut ]

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted July 29, 2012 02:30 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your picture links do not work. Opening one picture link on a different window takes me to a Russian web site asking me to register. Try to post the pictures differently, in a way that does not require registration anywhere, especially on a Russian web site.

DrF

astronaut
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8680

posted July 29, 2012 06:43 PM     Profile for astronaut   Email astronaut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
oops

Here it is again:

btw, is there a way to attach pictures to posts?

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted July 30, 2012 12:18 AM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your emulator looks similar to the one I had most of the problems with and hence advised everyone to avoid. Mine looks very similar to yours except for the central area that is completely different. The instruction manuals from here:

http://www.ipcas.com/support/usb-floppy-emulation-download.html

might help you with J1, J2 and perhaps J5. But I would not have high expectations. This particular emulator does not work well with any musical instrument that I know of. Its firmware is too old and has not been upgraded in a long time. That is the impression I made by user comments and posts on various forums.

The only advise I have for you is to throw that emulator away and buy another one like those shown above.

As far as the question about attaching pictures... Since I joined this forum we never had the ability to attach anything to our posts. That way this site can keep its size within logical limits.

DrF

[ July 30, 2012: Message edited by: EX5_etc ]

astronaut
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8680

posted July 30, 2012 03:28 AM     Profile for astronaut   Email astronaut     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll see if I can return the emulator for a refund. But I want to first try to play with the jumpers, I just wanted to know if shorting the wrong one won't damage the emulator and the RM1x.

I'm going to have to reinstall a normal floppy drive to see if the RM1x sees that a different diskette has been inserted, maybe it also has problems with normal drives.

Unfortunately this is the only emulator that's locally available on German eBay, the rest have to be shipped over from Hong Kong or China.

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted July 30, 2012 12:53 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's a good plan to deal with the problem. If you are lucky they will refund the money you paid for the emulator. If not, you will have a fancy looking paper weight around, as I did with the one that did not work at all. I must have spent at least $40 on it.

To the best of my knowledge the RM1x can read 1.44M floppy disks, so a used Sony MPF920 drive would fit nicely for your tests.

If nothing is wrong with the RM1x then you have the choice to order something from China, even if you don't like the long delay or perhaps the customs service. As far as I recall all the European countries are dying to collect taxes on any imports. In contrast, here in the USA we pay no taxes for anything we get from China and we have small packages delivered to us in 9 days via a special postal service developed lately to improve our shopping experiences with our main lender. Until the Chinese start asking for their money back of course... Then the fun begins.

Anyway, I believe that this emulator would work for your RM1x: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330564250012

My assumption is of course that Yamaha used in the RM1x the same floppy controller chip they used in many other instruments. The price of that emulator should be around 20 euros plus whatever taxes the customs service adds to it.

Regards,
DrF

Fugazi
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8181

posted September 19, 2012 10:44 AM     Profile for Fugazi   Email Fugazi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry to bother the good people here.
After being fool enough to buy the wrong device, I'd like to buy another one which functions properly for my EX5.

I found this type which looks similar to the "good" model, and it also says that it's compatible with Yamaha gear: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-USB-SSD-Simulation-Floppy-Disk-Drive-Emulator-Plug-For-YAMAHA-KORG-Keyboard-/180848915132?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a1b6f72bc

Can you please tell me if this the model I should get?

I realize you can't vouch for something being sold in eBay, but just let me know if it seems right.

Thanks in advance!

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted September 23, 2012 12:59 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It appears that it might work but I do not like the way the listing is presented on ebay. The seller's store is in Shenzhen, China, the place where I get most of my stuff. He/she should not be asking for a phone number. It's a new trick that appeared lately on ebay by some sellers. It's not an official ebay requirement that you disclose your phone number to some chinese crook that will sell that number to a database and then you will start receiving calls from people and services you don't care about.

Another cheap emulator is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150782467732

It's the same seller that sold me the drive that works with the SY85 and SY99. The link I posted above is for a 1.44M emulator that should work with the EX-series. That seller will ship to your country but check the complete listing for details.

Keep in mind that the emulators in your link and my link come without the "red button" that you may need to install yourself. I do not recall if the EX5R needs that button or not.

DrF

Fugazi
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8181

posted September 23, 2012 07:05 PM     Profile for Fugazi   Email Fugazi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks allot for your reply.

Unfortunately, the seller you mentioned does not send to my country so I can't get that specific item.

If you have another recommendation for a seller who is willing to send to Israel, please let me know, otherwise I'll take my chances with one of the other drives that look alike.

Thanks again for helping out!

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted September 24, 2012 09:48 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I checked the listing before I posted it and did not see Israel among the countries that he refuses to ship to. That's why I posted it in the first place. There is one more seller I can recommend, I have bought a nice emulator from him and works fine. But the price is around $48 and in my opinion it is too high for the 1.44M emulator.

From what I noticed (by checking sellers that I used in the past) the prices of the emulators have gone up a little since I bought mine. Not sure why. The whole planet (more or less) is in deep recession and price increases do not help the economy at this time.

DrF

Fugazi
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8181

posted September 28, 2012 05:50 AM     Profile for Fugazi   Email Fugazi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This seller says:
Shipping: Not Available to Israel

So I'll check someone else who sells the Gotex model with the jumpers connector at the back of the device.

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted October 30, 2012 02:16 AM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A short update regarding the software (v 1.2.3) that won't run under Win7. I fixed the issue by installing "Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC" on my Win7 machine. You have to download 2 or 3 software packages from Microsoft depending on your setup. They check to make sure that you have a valid copy of their operating system and then they allow you to download a complete and free 500MB copy of WinXP and a free copy of Virtual PC. There are no speed problems running XP in emulation mode, as long as you don't try any video games or video processing.

The software for the floppy emulator works fine since the day I installed XP mode. It takes some time to do the "XP mode" installation but it's free and stable so I think it's worth it. Plus I get to run some other programs that did not work under Win7.

DrF

EX5_etc
EX5Tech Veteran
Member # 3251

posted November 16, 2012 02:43 PM     Profile for EX5_etc   Email EX5_etc     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is a complete list of software that may work with the emulator depending on the OS that you use:

V120_UFloppyManager --> original version in English; requires WinXP to run, ships with the floppy emulator (depends on ebay seller)

V123_UFloppyManager --> original version in English; requires WinXP to run, ships with the floppy emulator (depends on ebay seller)

UFloppyManagerII-EX --> may ship with the emulator; Chinese version only, requires WinXP to run properly, download from http://qhsfd.com/download.asp

V1.1 UFloppyManagerII-ABB --> does not ship with any emulator bought on ebay; runs on 32-bit systems, English version download from http://www.abb.com/product/seitp327/8b38ccabb6706fa2c1257115005430e6.aspx

V1.2 UFloppyManagerII-ABB --> does not ship with any emulator bought on ebay; runs on 64-bit systems, English version download from http://www.abb.com/product/seitp327/8b38ccabb6706fa2c1257115005430e6.aspx

The ABB Floppy Manager v1.2 creates 100 virtual disks (1.44M or 720k) on the USB stick but some of the 720k "disks" are corrupt, because the SY99 cannot read them. The software that came with the emulator (V120 or V123) also creates 100 virtual disks on the stick and none is corrupt. The difference between the two is that UFloppyManagerII (ABB or EX) has a more efficient interface than V120_UFloppyManager or V123_UFloppyManager. UFloppyManagerII with its 100-disk one-page catalog allows the user to access and view each disk faster than any other software.

The trouble with ABB's software starts after the 3rd 720k disk usually. I never had trouble with the first disk.

DrF

Gatech
EX5Tech Newguy
Member # 8819

posted November 21, 2012 10:48 AM     Profile for Gatech   Email Gatech     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello!. I'm glad for being here!.

I bought 2 units of this emulator:

Seller is on eBay, from USA, and he says that it does work with Yamaha.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1408400269 73&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Inside the unit:

Yes, with PC it works PERFECT. Is fast, and works well....

EDITED:

Now it works perfect!. Only I have to plug Jumper in J1 pins 1 and 2 and after 10 seconds with no use by the keyboard red led gets low!.

PD: It's a Yamaha PSR 640.

Regards.!

[ November 22, 2012: Message edited by: Gatech ]

Posts: 1 | From: Colombia | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged

All times are U.S. Central Time
This topic is comprised of pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EX5Tech

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.05